In this final week of March, as our GMO AWARENESS MONTH Educational Campaign comes to a close, a review of what we have learned will help strengthen our understanding of Genetically Modified Organisms. The facts are clear… the risks are numerous. The Precautionary Principal encourages us to move forward with care. But MOVE we must! Follow the list of actions steps shown below.
Info-Ad - Editorial Letter - Article - Home
“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” .....Margaret Mead
There are many things we as Belizeans can do to move forward:
- Petition for moratorium by our Government to not allow the growing of Living Modified Organisms here in Belize for ten years to give time for capacity building and time for adequate health testing.
- Tell farmers to feed our chickens, pigs and beef cattle non-GM soy.
- Ask your local grocery stores and favorite restaurants to seek out non-GM food suppliers.
- Patronize eating establishments that promote healthy, non-GM menus.
- Tell your district representative about your concerns about GMOs in your food.
- Write the Minister of Natural Resources and Agriculture about your con-cerns on biodiversity and food security with GMOs.
- Write the Minister of Health about GMOs and your food safety worries.
- Write the Ministry of Commerce and Trade expressing your concerns about the loss of niche markets with GMOs.
- Write the Ministry of Sustainable Development expressing your concern over the threat to traditional farming and open-pollinated seed from GMOs.
- Write the Department of the Environment regarding your concerns with GMOs.
- Write to BAHA to request testing of crops to ensure GMOs are not con-taminating our agriculture.
- Request that the Biosafety Council be appointed new members representing Agriculture, Trade, Health, Environment, Bureau of Standards (Consumer Advocacy), Pesticide Control Board and Human Development.
- Ask the Belize Bureau of Standards to make mandatory the labeling of all GM foodstuffs.
- Encourage education in the schools about GMOs so our youth can make healthier food choices.
- Continue reading labels on foods, avoiding GMOs wherever possible.
- Talk about GMOs with your friends and family. Spread the word.
Protester's Sign reads:
Explain to the
"Its was good for the economy"
when they are deformed,
can't farm the toxic land,
breathe the air or drink the water
By DESMOND BUTLER and DON MELVIN | Associated Press – Sat, Mar 23, 2013
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama used Washington's grandest stage — the State of the Union speech — to announce negotiations with Europe aimed at creating the world's largest free trade agreement. Just weeks later, there are signs that old agriculture disputes could be deal-killers.